2015 was a really, really good year for music. It doesn’t matter what genre you were a fan of, there was something dope for everybody. Regarding the top 2-3 albums of the year, most folks will agree that on a yearly basis, they can be interchangeable. That doesn’t really change this year, as the top 2 albums on my list are also the top 2 albums on a *lot* of your lists this year. Well, from what I’ve seen.
Kendrick’s ‘TPAB’ deserved every single one of those 11 Grammy nominations, in my humble opinion, especially after getting Macklemore’d the year prior. Be that as it may, there is literally never a wrong time to listen to The Internet’s ‘Ego Death’. You don’t really get to see the world through the lens of a talented, twenty-something, lesbian lead singer of a band too often, and besides it being an interesting perspective, the music top to bottom is stellar. Working out, cleaning the crib, relaxing, driving… the album is near perfect, to me. I listened to the albums of Chris Stapleton and Leon Bridges, both of whom are talented in their own right, but as far their albums go, they sound like 1 long, 60-minute song, with occasional highlights. Andra Day has a phenomenal voice, but maybe her album just wasn’t for me.
Here’s my list of the top 20 albums of the year. Note: I did not listen to Adele’s ’25’ album. It’s not on Spotify, and I honestly haven’t been pressed to hear it. Based on the opinions some of you have expressed, it’s okay at best, but I’ll listen soon. What album do you think should have been on the list? I know you won’t agree with some of the choices, but that’s kinda the point. Give me your feedback.
1. ‘Ego Death’ by The Internet
2. ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’ by Kendrick Lamar
3. ‘Choose Your Weapon’ by Hiatus Kaiyote
4. ‘Purpose’ by Justin Bieber
5. ‘The Incredible True Story’ by Logic
6. ‘Masterpiece Theater Vol. 1’ by Louis York
7. ‘The Switch’ by Emily King
8. ‘Free TC’ by Ty Dolla $ign
9. ‘Heart Blanche’ by Cee-lo Green
10. ‘Caracal’ by Disclosure
11. ‘Beauty Behind the Madness’ by The Weeknd
12. ‘Currents’ by Tame Impala
13. ‘Uptown Special’ by Mark Ronson
14. ‘If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late’ by Drake
15. ‘Rodeo’ by Travis Scott
16. ‘Losing My Religion’ by Kirk Franklin
17. ‘All We Need’ by Raury
18. ‘Reality Show’ by Jazmine Sullivan
19. ‘At. Long. Last. A$AP’ by A$AP Rocky
20. ‘Black Rose’ by Tyrese